Saturday, December 6, 2008

Wish me luck!

I applied yesterday for a grant from the city of Chicago to train with a master mask and puppet craftsman. He is Jeff Semmerling, and he is awesome. The reason I want to train? "The Last Unicorn" will be using some masks and puppets, and I'd like to build them myself. Wish me luck and hope I get the grant! I took some puppetry building class while I was at Northwestern, but my skills definitely aren't where I'd like them to be to accomplish that. They're not too shabby either, though. Meet Mrs. Beasley:


I built her for my puppetry class final at NU. She's a character in a story by John Collier, titled "Incident by a Lake." I'm a huge fan of John Collier's stories, and I've adapted some of them to the stage before. One of my big dreams (after "The Last Unicorn" is done, that is) is to stage an entire evening of his stories strung together.



P.S.- Hey gang! Wanna see one of my design sketches for a mask I want to build for "The Last Unicorn?" Here's a peek:










It's not set in stone yet, but it's a start!

No comments: